Understanding West Virginia’s Child Seat Safety Laws
Whether you’re a new parent or have a handful of little ones, it’s critical to guarantee you’re up to date and abiding by West Virginia’s child seat safety laws. Although not complex, there are several elements of the law that you should know by heart and also might find surprising. For example, all children under four feet nine inches and under the age of eight years old are required to be secured in an appropriate restraint in one of the auto’s rear seats, not simply just a seat belt.
To better understand West Virginia’s child seat safety laws, take a moment look over this list of the Mountain State’s recently updated regulations for 2018.
- (As stated above) all children under four feet nine inches and under the age of eight years old are required to be secured in an appropriate regulation restraint in one of the auto’s rear seats.
- All children above four feet and nine inches in height can legally use a standard seat belt even when younger than eight years old.
- All parents who fail to meet protocol for properly securing their children in the appropriate restraints will acquire a fine of $10 to $20 for their first offense.
- Children must be properly secured in one the auto’s rear seats until they are at least the age of 13 years old.
West Virginia safety officials recommend:
- Rear-facing restraints for infants
- Forward-facing restraints for toddlers
- Booster seats for older children
For additional resources on child seat laws and safety contact West Virginia’s Child Passenger Safety Program at (304) 926-2509 or email GHSP at email@example.com.
Upcoming Child Passenger Safety Courses
Morgantown, WV – April 27, 2018 from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
CPST Renewal Course
*This course is for former CPSTs whose certifications have recently expired but still maintain
current knowledge and would like to be certified again.
Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office @ 116 Walnut Street, Morgantown, WV
Register online at https://cert.safekids.org using Course ID# WV20180314384.
Contact Amy Boggs at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Huntington, WV – June 12-15, 2018 from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician Training
St. Mary’s Education Center @ 2853 5th Avenue, Huntington, WV
Register online at https://cert.safekids.org using Course ID# WV20180326417.
Contact Beau Evans at (304) 696-5545 if you have questions.
For questions about the CPS Program please contact the GHSP via email at email@example.com or call 304-926-2509.